The grandest hotel in the Borough of Hopatcong was undoubtedly Castle Edward. It began in 1905 as a one level structure with some 20 rooms in the style of a 17th century castle. A small island (sometimes referred to as Mush Island) was constructed in front of the hotel. Within a few years, a second level was added to the back of the hotel, increasing its size to about 40 rooms. In 1913, it enlarged to some 80 rooms by adding a third level, giving the structure a true castle-like appearance. The hotel closed during the Depression and was totally destroyed by fire in the winter of 1931.