This office is responsible for maintaining all minutes and records of Borough Council proceedings, preserving and compiling all ordinances and resolutions, issuing applications for raffles & bingo, soliciting/vendor permits, limousine permits, landlord/tenant registration, OPRA forms, election information & voter registration forms, current agendas and monthly calendar of events.
Core Duties of the Municipal Clerk:
- Act as secretary to the municipal corporation and custodian of the municipal seal and of all minutes, books, deeds, bonds, contracts, and archival records of the municipal corporation;
- Act as secretary to the Governing Body, prepare meeting agendas at the discretion of the governing body, be present at meetings of the Governing Body, retain the original copies of all ordinances, resolutions and minutes;
- Serve as the chief administrative office in all elections held in the municipality, subject to the requirements of Title 19 of the Revised Statutes;
- Serve as the chief registrar of voters in the municipality, subject to the requirements of Title 19 of the Revised Statutes.
- Serve as the administrative officer responsible for the acceptance of various licenses and permits.
- Serve as coordinator and records manager responsible for implementing local archives and records retention programs as mandated pursuant to Title 47 of the Revised Statutes.
- Perform such other duties as are now or hereafter imposed by statutes, regulation or by municipal ordinance or regulation.
The Borough of Hopatcong license period is from June 1st to May 31st of each year. All dogs and cats 7 months or older must be licensed. There will be a late fee of $5.00 for each dog license for every month that you are late after June 30th. State Law requires that the rabies vaccination covers 10 months of the licensing year, therefore each dog or cat must have a valid rabies vaccination expiring no sooner than March 31st of the following year.
If your pet is already in our system, it is not necessary to complete the animal license application.
Animal License application
Phone number for Animal licensing is 973-770-1200 ext 114 or 136 or 140
The licensing fees are as follows:
Spayed/ Neutered: $11.00
Not Spayed/ Neutered: $13.00
Spayed/ Neutered: $11.00
Not Spayed/ Neutered: $14.00
If renewing by mail, please return the application form, proof of spay or neuter, and rabies certificate which shall not expire before March 31st of the following year along with a self-addressed stamped envelope with (2) first class stamps. Make check payable to: The Borough of Hopatcong.
If renewing in person, the only documentation you will need is an updated rabies vaccine certificate if updated since your last license and a spay or neuter certificate if not already on file. Licenses will be issued between the hours of 9am and 4pm. Exact change or check only.
If you are a new resident to Hopatcong Borough, please register to vote by downloading the application from http://www.sussex.nj.us and go to the form center. If you move within the County or State, you must update your voting status with the County Board of Elections. If you have moved within the boundaries of Hopatcong Borough or have changed your name through marriage, you must update your pertinent information in order to vote. New registrants must register at least 29 days prior to an election
Vote By Mail
For those voters unable to make it to the polling place on Election Day you can apply for a vote by mail application. If applying by mail, the County Clerk in Newton must receive the application at least seven (7) days prior to the election. Applications are available from either the County Clerk or the Hopatcong Clerk.
If you are past the mail-in deadline, you can go in person to the Sussex County Clerk's Office to apply a vote by mail application up to 3:00 p.m. on the day before the election.Change of Political Party
Declaration of party affiliation form must be filed no later than 50 days preceding the Primary in which the voter wishes to vote.
Where Do I Vote?
Hopatcong Borough has twelve voting districts, you may find your voting district by
accessing the street index.
|District #||Polling Place||Location|
|1||Municipal Bldg.||111 River Styx Road|
|2 & 7||Firehouse #2||Maxim Dr. & Indian Trail|
|3||Firehouse #4||Jefferson and Tulane Trails|
|4||Ambulance Bldg.||514 Maxim Drive|
|5 & 12||Hopatcong Middle School||Francis Avenue and David Rd.|
|6||Senior Center||32 Lakeside Blvd.|
|8||Bd of Education Admin Bldg.||2 Windsor Avenue|
|9||Community Center||Hopatchung Rd|
|10||St. Jude Church||40 Maxim Drive|
|11||Firehouse #3||43 Hopatchung Rd|
Primary, General and School Board Elections / Polls Open 6 AM TO 8 PM
Although Some Forms Are Available at Borough Hall as Indicated Above,
You Can Get Quicker Service Through Your Computer by Going to the State Website
State of New Jersey, Division of Elections Links
Link to Form Center - Sussex County - Another Source of Forms, Click Here.
Forms Which Can be Found at this Link:
- Vote By Mail Ballot Forms
- Party Affiliation Forms
- Pollworker Applications
- Support Staff applications
- Sussex County Voter Bill of Rights
- Voter Registration Form
OPRA Request Form